Tater tots and tortillas have been real heroes in our pantry over the last year as we have tried to order take-out less. So, it makes sense we found a way to combine the two with these super delicious and simple breakfast quesadillas. One 8-inch flour tortilla is big enough to fit an entire breakfast! It’s a great grab and go option; or since we’re not going anywhere these days, a great portable breakfast to eat while we type away on our laptops.
♥ Related: Buffalo Eggplant Sandwich
I love how the tater tots add an extra crunch to the quesadilla. They also do a good job of soaking up the hot sauce! Obviously these are highly flexible. Swap out the bacon for some breakfast sausage or ham. Use your favorite cheese (though I am partial to gooey melting cheeses like Jack or American.)
If you’re feeling extra, whip up a batch of my 10-minute salsa to serve with the quesadillas. It will add a zingy freshness to your breakfast.
- Shop: My Favorite Hot Sauce
How to Meal Prep Breakfast Quesadillas
Finally, these are a great option to make in a large batch. To do this, make as many breakfast quesadillas as you’d like, but before you toast the quesadillas on the griddle, wrap each one in plastic wrap. Store all of your wrapped quesadillas in a large zip top freezer bag and freeze for up to 6-months. Then toast in a pan, greased with butter, over medium heat until the quesadilla is warmed through and golden brown on the outside.
Watch: How to Bake the Crispiest Tater Tots
Tater Tot Breakfast Quesadillas
- 4 large eggs
- salt & pepper to taste
- non-stick cooking spray
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- 4 slices bacon cooked and cut in half
- 4 oz Jack cheese either grated or slices
- 20 tater tots cooked; see note
- hot sauce
- 1 tbsp butter
- green onions sliced; for garnish
- Heat a medium frying pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once the pan has heated up, spray with non-stick cooking spray and add the eggs to the pan.Season eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper to your taste.Once the egg whites have mostly set, use a spatula to break the yolk. Once the eggs have mostly cooked, flip the egg. Cook for another 30 seconds to a minute and then move to a plate.Wipe out your skillet, we'll use it again soon.
- To assemble the quesadillas, place 1/2 oz of the cheese on one half of each tortilla. Layer with an egg, one slice of bacon, and about 5 tater tots. Add hot sauce to your taste.Place another 1/2 oz of the cheese on the other half of each tortilla. Then, fold the tortillas over into a half moon shape and press lightly.
- Heat your pan over medium heat again. Add the butter and let the butter melt. Use a spatula to spread the melted butter evenly over the pan. Place your quesadillas in the pan and let cook for about 3-4 minutes each side or until the tortillas are a deep golden brown. Flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes. You might need to do this in two batches depending on the size of your pan.
- Cut the quesadillas into thirds and serve. Sprinkle with sliced green onions.
- To cook a super crispy tater tot in the oven, set your oven to 450F. Place frozen tots on a baking sheet giving each tot some space. Bake for at least 25 minutes flipping halfway through cooking. Get these going while you prep the rest of the ingredients to save time.
More Recipes You Might Like
This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission on qualified purchases from affiliate links that you click. Affiliate commissions help support this site so that I can keep bringing you great recipes, kitchen hacks, and product reviews.