Broccoli with garlic & herb breadcrumbs is a flavorful, speedy side dish. It’s a great quick weeknight vegetable dish, but it’s also bold enough to fit right in on a dinner party menu.
This recipe comes together in about 10 minutes when paired with one of my favorite kitchen hacks: Instant Pot broccoli. While the broccoli is cooking in the Instant Pot, make garlic & herb breadcrumbs by toasting them in pan with butter. Your veggie side dish will be ready in a flash.
♥ Related: Instant Pot Broccoli in Zero Minutes!
This breadcrumb topping would be equally delicious on cauliflower, green beans, or brussels sprouts. And, if you have a little more time, roasting your veggies with some olive oil in a 400F degree oven for 15-20 minutes would add to the crispy texture.
Video: Watch Me Make This Recipe
Broccoli with Garlic & Herb Breadcrumbs
- 4-5 cups broccoli cut into medium-sized florets and cooked
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano chopped fine
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped fine
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ½ lemon zested
- 2 tbsp Parmesan or Romano cheese finely grated
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt to taste
- In a small pan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the garlic to the pan and stir into the butter. Make sure the heat is medium or medium low. You want to slowly cook the garlic in the butter without burning it.
- Add the crushed red pepper flakes, oregano, and thyme. Add a pinch of salt. Stir into the garlic and the butter. Cook for about a minute over medium low heat.
- Add the breadcrumbs to the pan and turn up the heat to medium and stir for 2-3 minutes until the breadcrumbs start to toast and turn golden brown.
- Once the breadcrumbs are golden brown, turn off the heat. Stir in the lemon zest and grated cheese.
- Put your hot, cooked broccoli in a large bowl. Add a tablespoon of butter and a couple of pinches of salt. Toss to melt the butter. Then add 3/4s of the breadcrumb mixture into the broccoli. Toss to coat.
- Plate on a large serving platter. Top with the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Steam the broccoli on the stovetop or use this Instant Pot hack.
- If you have a little more time, roast your broccoli at 400F degrees. Before roasting, toss the broccoli in a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the broccoli is cooked and slightly charred. Stir after 10 minutes of cooking.
- If you don’t have fresh herbs, use dry but only use 1/2 tbsp of each because dried herbs are more concentrated.
- If you like more heat, you can add another 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes.
Tools You Might Need For This Recipe
Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker
Steamer Basket for the Instant Pot
This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission on qualified purchases from affiliate links that you click. Affiliate commissions help support this site so that I can keep bringing you great recipes, kitchen hacks, and product reviews.
So, I tried this tonight and it came out great even without the steamer basket!